Thursday 9 April 2009

GURU - LOST AND FOUND (Carhartt Store 08/04/09)



Think Guru - Think Gang Starr : Premo - ill beats - deep rhymes ; You know my steez???
Hip hop like everything else in this world evolves with time and as Premo and Guru went their separate ways  Guru explored and created Jazzmatazz "an experimental fusion of hip hop and jazz"  - some call it a poor cop out - but I love Jazzmatazz, it might not have the intricate Premo productions that brought Gang Starr into the limelight but there was something beautiful about Guru's jazz/hip hop fusion (and all other musicians that are known for making hybrid music, particularly from 87-now) - something that made Saturday nights at home listening to 'Trust Me', 'Certified'  or 'Guidance' satisfying and perfect after a tiring week. With his latest material on 7.0 and 8.0 straying from the Jazzmatazz vibe it would be fair to say Guru was moving on from his Jazz experimentalism , with him even saying that "It's necessary to get upgrades to keep real Hip Hop alive... 8.0 represents that next level growth."

I've really been waiting to see what Guru has to bring to the table in 2009 and after missing so many chances to see him live (along with so many other artists - but 2009 is the year to catch up!) that once I found out he had a show at Cargo performing Jazzmatazz I copped my ticket - and then when I saw he had a free show performing alongside Solar in the same week at the Carhartt Store (thanks to Charlee Brown @ Vision) - I'd hit the JACKPOT!!! Guru twice in a week? Damn, life is good!!

So the layout at the Carhartt store was ILL, the free energy drinks and beer had the crowd on a high especially with Mr Thing's  tune selection from Raekwon to Big L to MOP to Dead Prez  - Hip Hop was in the house.  Mystro was a wicked host - got us all vibing, laughing and enjoying the night.  The supporting acts got us on a roll with Scandal dropping some deep bars , Professor Green with sick beats especially 'Don't Let Go' (With the En Vogue sample) and a whole lot of stage presence (and a free copy of 'The Green EP')  that had me hyped up for Guru!!!! 
 I wasn't expecting too much,  it was free after all, it's a bit of a promotion for his new material and a treat for us Gang Starr/Guru fans - all I really thought we'd get was a Gang Starr medley and maybe 2 or 3 tracks?  Mass Appeal dropped and the crowd was raring for more - I was like 'this is what I need after a hard days work, Guru up in my face dropping bars to beats I've loved for years!' He dropped another two tracks , including Divine Rule from 8.0 and an accapella. Straight after he plugged his album name and  asked for us to cop it he stepped off stage...... BOOO's were heard within moments , who would think that a hip hop legend get that kind of response? And who would think he'd do a 5 minute show? 
I know 8.0 is called Lost and Found (and I'll definitely put up my review of it next week) - but for my first Guru show I LOST a little respect for him and FOUND some for the likes of Scandal , Professor Green, Mr Thing & Mystro who came HARD!!!
I hope he pulls it off at Cargo on Saturday!!!!

My Show Ratings :



 Guru = 5/10 
 


 Mr Thing = 10/10



 Scandal = 9/10



 Professor Green = 8/10


 Mystro = 9/10

4 comments:

  1. cant believe he did a show like that even if it was free you cant be treating fans like that. its a discredit to all hiphop heads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post n im feelin that first pic but i got 2 things to say.

    number 1 why r u goin back 2 see him at cargo if it was loose? guru is not serious. I heard the same thing from 2 of my peeps n its lucky i never reached cuz i woulda been seriously vexed. (5 out of 10 u kno! you got jokes rox)

    number 2 jazzmatazz really wasnt anythin special n his new music is even worse imo guru lost it wen gang starr broke up but premiers still holdin it up! maybe he should get the hint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. loooool he got booos? no way u gotta b kiddin
    the other show sounds much better like 300% better

    ReplyDelete
  4. calm down.it sounds like it was a promo event...

    ReplyDelete