Sunday 12 April 2009

GURU - JAZZMATAZZ (Cargo - 11/04/09)




By this point I'm pretty sure you all know I've been a Guru fan for a while - the show at Carhartt really tainted my views of him as an artist and he truly failed to live up to my expectations. I was contemplating on not even going to see him at Cargo despite already having my ticket up on my wall - was it going to be worth giving him another chance? I mean fair-play it's a paid show and he wouldn't flop on people who'd already paid for their tickets (a sold out event) but what does that say about him as an artist - is he only in it for the money? 

So I swallowed my pride (how dramatic!!) and decided I couldn't let something so stupid stop me from a session of Jazzmatazz. I got in just as him and Solar were rehearsing, was pretty cool to see him practising on stage with his DJ (Doo Wop) & a 2 piece brass band. After an hour or so he returned to the stage - he came out with a whole lot of energy compared to last time at Carhartt - the crowd really loved him. He performed classics and new tracks from his Jazzmatazz collection from Loungin, Keep Your Worries, Jazzy Wayz needless to say, everyone was on a high - with a serious improvement on his first show. I for one was feeling every track ; from the Jazzmatazz to old Gang Starr Ex Girl To Next Girl, Above The Clouds & You Know My Steez (and you know I was so damn excited - because that's the first song that got me into Gang Starr many many years ago). Not forgetting his newest material from the 7 Grand label. 

So it's pretty fair to say that Guru stepped up his game from the Wednesday show and after meeting him he's a pretty cool dude, polite and was a true gentleman (kissing my hand and allsorts - lol) and he definitely did a show that showed off both his Gang Starr classics, those he did on the early Jazzmatazz albums and his newer material with producer Solar. But if there's one complaint I have about the whole performance it's that an artist as renowned as Guru most definitely does NOT need someone doing his ad-libs or backing vocals, Solar is cool for a producer and I'm really trying not to discredit his work or even their partnership but I don't really dig a next dude trying to spit Gang Starr bars - or  even Guru as a solo artist's bars. It might sound pedantic but the only person I wouldn't have minded hearing talk over Guru would've been the DJ, I'm sure it's part of their show to do it together, but Guru is strong enough as an artist not to need Solar backing his vocals. Simple as!

I can't forget to drop this, Guru had a hell of a lot more time for his fans at this show, with a massive plastic bag of CDs that he was selling and signing after the show and taking photos with people. It goes without saying that it was almost surreal seeing a member of a phenomenal hip hop group selling his own CDs for cash on stage, almost saddening, but hey, at least his money won't be going on drink or drugs (or meat for that matter lol). Plus there's nothing like some Guru 2009 memorabilia, and I'm a sucker for anything with a signature on it ; tickets, cd's cheques - bring it on!!

If I could have changed anything I'd ask for: 

1) A larger live band , the 2 piece brass band sounded amazing but add a little bit more and it really would have been unforgettable.

2)Solar to take a bit of a back seat, Guru doesn't need vocal support!

3)A few more Gang Starr tracks (Even though it was a Jazzmatazz affair) - it would have really made my night!!!

My Show Ratings:



Guru : 9/10















Solar : 5/10 



















Live Music factor : 8/10 

2 comments:

  1. sounds like u really prefered him 2nd time around & im glad, couldnt imagine ur thoughts of guru bein tainted by one rubbish show. im with u on the solar thing & even tho ive never seen them live together & id prob rather not see him performing with solar.
    who r u seeing next?
    nice write up tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant stand that solar twat, n i dont get why he thinks hes the new Premier thats way too wack and i cant be down with sum gangstarr wannabe member. 7 grand is nothin compared to what guru had with premier. what a shame

    ReplyDelete